David Jones, artist and poet (1895-1974) begins his PREFACE TO THE ANATHEMATA :

'I have made a heap of all that I could find.' (1) So wrote Nennius, or whoever composed the introductory matter to Historia Brittonum. He speaks of an 'inward wound' which was caused by the fear that certain things dear to him 'should be like smoke dissipated'. Further, he says, 'not trusting my own learning, which is none at all, but partly from writings and monuments of the ancient inhabitants of Britain, partly from the annals of the Romans and the chronicles of the sacred fathers, Isidore, Hieronymous, Prosper, Eusebius and from the histories of the Scots and Saxons although our enemies . . . I have lispingly put together this . . . about past transactions, that [this material] might not be trodden under foot'. (2)

(1) The actual words are coacervavi omne quod inveni, and occur in Prologue 2 to the Historia.
(2) Quoted from the translation of Prologue 1. See The Works of Gildas and Nennius, J.A.Giles, London 1841.


05 December 2013

Dr Who : LOL part 5 _ The Great Curator


Okay, let's round this up. 

Through the inspiration of Bad Wolf/the Interface/conscience of The Moment, the Doctors devise a plan for future-saving Gallifrey. Art meets cosmic cryogenics.

Clara : But where would Gallifrey be?
Dr Who (Tennant) : Frozen. Frozen in an instant of time. Safe and hidden away.
Dr Who (Smith) : Exactly.
Dr Who (Hurt) : Like a painting!
              
.  .  .  .
  
Did their intervention for Gallifrey work?

The fall of a white sugar cube is stilled above a clear dark liquid...



.  .  .  .
  
The three TARDIS and their travellers reconstitute in the Under Gallery of the National Gallery, London. 


Clara and the Doctors sip tea and regard anew the painting of Gallifrey .

 
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA

Dr Who (Tennant) : What is it actually called?
Dr Who (Smith) : Well, there's some debate. Either 'No More' or 'Gallifrey Falls'
Dr Who (Hurt) : Not very  encouraging. How did it get here?
Dr Who (Smith) : No idea.
  
More chat about this and that, then two of the Doctors whizz off in their Police boxes. Clara and her Doctor return to the painting.


 
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA
  
Clara : Need a moment with your painting?
Dr Who (Smith) : How did you know?
Clara : Those big sad eyes. Oh, by the way, there was an old man looking for you. I think it was the curator. (She steps into the waiting
TARDIS)

Dr Who (Smith) : (Sits. Looks at the painting) I could be a curator. I'd be great at curating. I'd be The Great Curator. (chuckles) I could retire and do that. I could retire and be the curator of this place.

Voice of Tom Baker : You know, I really think you might.
Dr Who (Smith) : (Looks hard at the speaker) I never forget a face...
Dr Who (Baker) : I know you don't. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favorites, eh.

(The two Drs Who turn to look together at the painting)


    
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA
     
Dr Who (Baker) : You were curious about this painting, I think. I acquired it in remarkable circumstances. What do you make of the Title?
Dr Who (Smith) : Which Title? There's two. 'No more' or 'Gallifrey Falls'.
Dr Who (Baker) : No, you see, that's where everybody's wrong. It's all one Title : Gallifrey Falls No More. Now, what would you think that means, eh?
Dr Who (Smith) :  That Gallifrey didn't fall. It worked. It's still out there.
Dr Who (Baker) :  I'm  only a humble curator; I'm sure I wouldn't know.
Dr Who (Smith) : Where is it? 
Dr Who (Baker) : Where is it, indeed? Lost : Shhh! Perhaps. Things do get lost, you know. Now you must excuse me. Ooh, you have a lot to do.
Dr Who (Smith) :  Do I? Is that what I'm supposed to do now; go looking for Gallifrey?
Dr Who (Baker) : That's entirely up to you. Your choice. I can only tell you what I would do; if I were you.... Oh, if I were you... (a chuckle shared) Oh, perhaps I was you, of course. Or, perhaps, you are me. Congratulations.
Dr Who (Smith) : Thank you very much.
Dr Who (Baker) : Or perhaps it doesn't matter either way. Who knows? WHO KNOWS. (Confirms this affirmation with a touch to his nose. Then exits)


W   H   O


K   N   O   W   S   E

Dr Who (Smith) : (Turns back to look again at the painting of Gallifrey. He smiles, knowing that Gallifrey is no longer lost to him.)


    
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA


epiLOGOS/HA HA 
Homer Dreams of Home : Journey of the Hero

Doctor Who steps from his TARDIS. Where is he this time? He's on a cosmic opera stage where waiting for him are the previous eleven. 

The theme of this overview has been LOL aka 
Lots Of Looking. And so, for the curtain call, one grand summary Act of Regard. From their stage of 50 TeleVision Earth Years the twelve look, as one, at Gallifrey.

 
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA

The voice of Dr Who (Smith) : Clara sometimes asks me if I dream. Of course I dream, I tell her; everybody dreams. But what do you dream about, she asks. The same thing everybody dreams about, I tell her. I dream about where I'm going. She always laughs at that: You're not going anywhere; you're just wandering about. That's not true; not any more. I have a new destination; my journey is the same as yours; the same as anyone's. It's taken me many life-times but at last I know where I'm going; where I've always been going: home, the long way round.

Where Gallifrey is, now we are. 

For Theatre of the Actors of Regard :
we look at the Doctors
and the Doctors look at us. 
            
    
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...
 
 LOGOS/HA HA